- The Discharge in Bankruptcy
- Chapter 7. Liquidation Under the Bankruptcy Code
- Chapter 13. Individual Debt Adjustment
- Chapter 11. Reorganization Under the Bankruptcy Code
- Chapter 12. Family Farmer Bankruptcy or Family Fisherman Bankruptcy
- Chapter 9. Municipality Bankruptcy
- Chapter 15. Ancillary and Other Cross-Border Cases
- SCRA. Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act
- SIPA. Securities Investor Protection Act
- Glossary - Terms You Need to Know
"Bankruptcy Basics provides basic information to debtors, creditors, court personnel, the media, and the general public on different aspects of the federal bankruptcy laws. It also provides individuals who may be considering bankruptcy with a basic explanation of the different chapters under which a bankruptcy case may be filed and to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about the bankruptcy process.
On April 20, 2005, President Bush signed into law the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 ("BAPCPA"). BAPCPA made substantial changes to the Bankruptcy Code. And the Bankruptcy Judges Division has made significant revisions to this online version of Bankruptcy Basics to account for BAPCPA's changes to the Code.
Most BAPCPA changes apply only to cases filed on or after October 17, 2005. Because the Bankruptcy Judges Division anticipates that there will continue to be a demand for the version of Bankruptcy Basics that describes the pre-BAPCPA bankruptcy process (for cases filed prior to October 17), this page contains links to PDF (print friendly) copies of both the pre-BAPCPA version as well as the current online version of Bankruptcy Basics.
Bankruptcy Basics - For Cases Filed on or after October 17, 2005 (pdf)
Finally, Bankruptcy Basics should not substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel or a financial expert. Neither the Bankruptcy Judges Division nor the Administrative Office of the United States Courts can provide legal or financial advice. Such advice may be obtained from a competent attorney, accountant, or financial adviser. "